Friday, August 21, 2009

Now it's my turn: Day 4

I know what all my 100s of blog readers want to hear: life is all sunshine and roses. Priscila's last minute departure, leaving me alone with 5 kids, has been no big deal. Everything's peachy, right?

Hmmmm.... Not today.

Don't get me wrong the sky didn't fall, life hasn't stopped, etc. Meals were made, naps were had, kids got wet (outside and on purpose), owies were bandaged, the backyard even got cleaned up. There were small victories, but it seemed like the small setbacks and gradual wearing down of my nerves outnumbered the victories. Work got in the way first thing in the morning. It only took 90 minutes, but it messed up the start of the day, my attitude, and things never quite got back on track.

Bucky vacuumed the house this evening and Tim Morris came over and watched a movie with me. Thanks to both of you. Bucky has done a massive amount of laundry and housecleaning over the past few days.

I should also give Gabe a lot of credit for what he's done this week. He's being asked to be responsible way beyond his years, but not necessarily his means. Every dad needs a boy like Gabe. I'm sure I'll say the same about the others in time. Gabe is the first and I love seeing him mature and mature in the way I dreamed I could raise boys. In Gabe, I see the grace of the Father on my bad parenting and the hope that I won't mess the others up too bad.

Tomorrow (ummm, today since it's 01:35) is your day Gabe. Happy late birthday.

No comments: