Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I'm a proud GM Stockholder

While I'd like to comment weekly on the status of the US financial crisis I'm not an expert and have no original insight. All I know is I'm incredibly frustrated by the lack of common sense coming out of Washington DC. The '08 election campaigns were filled with words like HOPE and CHANGE. I think we got the CHANGE part. I don't think it's the CHANGE we were expecting. What's the point of me blogging the same drivel that's in 1000 other places all over the 'net.

Today there was one little, small, teeny, itsy-bitsy CHANGE that actually seemed to be smart. GM is selling it's Hummer unit. What took them so darn long!?!?!?!? With 5 kids in my family, and 6 in my brother's, we completely get the need for large vehicles. The Hummer was a ridiculous idea in the first place. It should have been left in the elite circles of "concept cars" or other autos reserved for those with too much money.

Unfortunately Saturn is mixed in with the sale. That's too bad. GM should keep Saturn (noted for customer service) and dump all the rest of the autos we're not buying.

Now as for being a GM stockholder. Do I get a company car? Any perks in it for me? Doubt it... Obama has stated that the Government is a "reluctant stakeholder". If so, why not sell a majority interest of the shares of GM NOW!!! Keep some. After REAL business people turn the company around - sell the rest of the shares to AT LEAST break even. Stocks/bonds are a gamble. The taxpayers weren't guaranteed a return in the first place....

I think the only reason the Government (Obama) invested in GM in the first place was to force them to create greener autos. Control is the perfect excuse NOT to sell GM now to those who can better manage it. I just don't have any HOPE the Obama administration will get it right.

No comments: